Exhibit Assignment Questions
- What factors were behind the Chumash Revolt of 1824?
- What factors led to the decimation of the local Chumash population?
- How early did the colonization of Alta California actually take place?
- Did California ever have a black governor?
- What era characterized the largest migration of American blacks prior to the Civil War?
- Who were some of the black cowboys?
Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo
- What was the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo?
- Were there any intentions by the U.S. government to acquire California, even prior to the War with Mexico?
- Who were some of the Congressmen who in 1847 argued against the War with Mexico, and what were some of the things they were saying in opposition?
- What were some of the Treatys main provisions? What meaning does the Treaty have for contemporary Chicanos?
Gold Rush Era
- How did the Foreign Miners Tax of 1851 impact the Spanish-speaking people in California?
- Why did the hero bandits such as Joaquin Murieta arise in this state?
- Who was "Josefa" (also known as Juanita) and how did her case relate to the vigilantism of the Gold Rush era?
- Southeast Asian refugees arrived in large numbers beginning in 1975 as a result of what factors?
- Before World War II, why was it difficult for Chinese American women to get jobs outside Chinatown?
- What factors prompted large numbers of Chinese to immigrate to California between 1848-1851?
- What steps did many Hmong immigrants take before their arrival in the U.S.?
- How did the Chinese immigrants in Santa Barbara contribute to the areas economy in the late 19th and early 20th century?
World War Two
- What was the outcome of federal Executive Order 9066?
- What was the central issue involving the Sleepy Lagoon case of 1943?
- What was the National Chicano Moratorium?
- What were some of the major events that led to the founding of the UCSB Chicano Studies department and research center?
- What was Bert Corona noted for?
- What were Cesar Chavez central principles behind his leadership of "La Causa"?
- What did the 16 black students demand when they took over the UCSB Computer Center in 1965? What were some of the concrete results of their actions?
- Did survey research show any significant socio-economic difference between rioters and non-rioters involved in the Watts Riot of 1965?
CEMA Home Page
Güereña. Page maintained by:
Page designed by Todd Chatman. Last
modified: April 24, 1999.